Re: [RIF] test case dialect indicators

Stella Mitchell wrote:

> If a rule is syntactically correct PRD and syntactically correct Core
> and non-terminating in PRD, then why is it OK to have it in PRD but not
> in core - this is what I don't understand. Is it that you want to make
> sure there can be conformant PRD  implementations of Core but you do not
> need to ensure that there can be conformant implementations of PRD?

I wasn't trying to make any general statement about PRD. I don't know if
what Core would regard as an unsafe rule set would be an admissible PRD
test case or not.

Our problem is that we want Core be not just in the syntactic
intersection but somehow in the semantic intersection of PRD and BLD,
yet clearly the operational semantics of PRD is very different from that
of BLD. If we restricted Core to pure datalog then the declarative
semantics and the operational fixed point semantics would coincide. We
wanted to allow builtins, thus going outside datalog and hence the
question of safeness.

We also have the issue that some relevant languages out there do impose
safeness restrictions (e.g. DLV [1]). By introducing these two levels of
conformance we are allowing the possibility of such languages being used
as RIF-Core consumers.

Dave

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2008Aug/0052.html