ACTION-446 and Re: Deriving BLD PS from the XML syntax (Was: Re: escaping quotes)

From: Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 16:25:15 +0200
To: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
CC: Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>, "Public-Rif-Wg (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Michael Kifer wrote:

>>E.g. metadata everywhere does probably not make sense in the
>>PS; but why not allow it in the XML? If the only reason is that the XML
>>is derived from the PS (in the sense of the EBNF), my point is that it
>>does not have to.
>

> Several rule systems use metadata at the presentation level.
> [...]

Absolutely. And, as you pointed out already, some metadata may impact
the semantics in some rule languages (or something that is usually
considered metadata; e.g. certainty factors etc).

But not all the metadata need be at the presentation level (e.g.
metadata used by a specific implementation for round-tripping purposes
comes to mind - consider that this sentence complete my action 446).

My point is that, while everything that is in the PS has to be in the
XML, the reverse is not true; and, thus, that it might be better to
derive the PS from the XML than the reverse (any "positioning"
consideration apart).

And Jos did not convince me yet that I did not demonstrate that it was
rather easily feasible :-)

Cheers,

Christian