metadata in BLD

From: Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:47:11 +0100
To: RIF <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
concerning the proposal for adding metadata to RIF-BLD rules:
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/BLD#EBNF_for_RIF-BLD_Rule_Language

Adding metadata to rule sets looks fine here.  I have a problem with the
syntax for rules.  Namely, according to the current proposal, a "Forall"
has an IRI plus metadata.  Forall is a quantifier and not a rule.
Additionally, it is not possible to add metadata to facts; this is
clearly undesirable.

I would propose to assign IRIs and metadata directly to rules, e.g.,
using a 'Rule' keyword, as proposed in [1]:

Rule            ::= 'Rule( ' absolute-IRI? Metadata* RULECONTENT ' ) '
RULECONTENT     ::= 'Forall' Var+ '(' CONDITION (':-' CONDITION)? ')'
| CONDITION (':-' CONDITION)?

Best, Jos

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2008Mar/0001.html
--
                          debruijn@inf.unibz.it

Jos de Bruijn,        http://www.debruijn.net/
One man that has a mind and knows it can
always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
   -- George Bernard Shaw