Re: [Fwd: Re: [DTB] Datatypes and Built-ins first run to clean up and extend the initial list]

Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Jos de Bruijn wrote:
>
>> So, we really want to take into account all IRIs representing a
>> particular domain element.  Since this is a set, we would need to use
>> a built-in predicates.  For example:
>>
>> "Let I be an interpretation, let u be an element in the domain of I, and
>> let {i1, ..., in} be the set of IRIs that denote u, i.e. for each ij
>> (1 <= j <= n) IC(ij)=u.  IR(iriToString)(u,"ij")=t for (1 <= j <= n);
>> IR(iriToString)(u,s)=f for every element s not in {"i1", ..., "in"}."
>>
>> The rule set
>> iriToString("b"^^rif:iri,"b"^^xsd:string)
>>
>> is satisfied in every RIF interpretation.
>
> But in any semantic web context  one couldn't determine the truth or
> falsity of:
>
>  iriToString("foo"^^rif:iri,"bar"^^xsd:string)

right.  In some interpretations the formula might be true, whereas in
other interpretations it would be false.  So, it would not be entailed
by the empty rule set.

Best, Jos

--
                          debruijn@inf.unibz.it

Jos de Bruijn,        http://www.debruijn.net/
One man that has a mind and knows it can
always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
   -- George Bernard Shaw