Re: [Fwd: Re: [DTB] Datatypes and Built-ins first run to clean up and extend the initial list]

From: Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 17:18:37 +0100
To: axel@polleres.net
CC: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

>> Axel corrected my misunderstanding of his proposal but can't send
>> directly to the list.
>>
>> Axel: That makes more sense though I would still prefer builtins to be
>> IRIs so that I could, for example, annotate them in RDF with metadata.
>
> No problem.... we just have to define the lexical spaces of
> the respecctive symbol spaces  (let's call them rif:builtinFn and
> rif:builtinPred for the moment) the same as the lexical spaces for
> rif:iri and define cast functions from-to rif:iri for rif:builtinFn and
> rif:builtinPred.

Since rif:iri is not a data type, I do not understand how cast functions
could be defined.
A given IRI is interpreted as some abstract object in a given
interpretation.  I do not understand how a casting function for such
abstract objects can be defined in a meaningful way.

best, Jos

--
                          debruijn@inf.unibz.it

Jos de Bruijn,        http://www.debruijn.net/
One man that has a mind and knows it can
always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
   -- George Bernard Shaw