RE: DTB and BLD Use Cases: User-Defined Functions -- factorial example, Equal in the head, oriented equations, left and right roles

It was three to three, and if we continue to "leave as is"
(there apparently is no RESOLVED), we cannot define
user functions with oriented equations -- evidence that
I found after F2F10 and emailed to the Tuesday telecon
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2008Jun/0046.html):

http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/F2F10_Minutes#Naming

Sandro Hawke <http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Sandro_Hawke> : Equal
roles should be left and right

Sandro Hawke <http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Sandro_Hawke> : <Equal>
should have <left> and <right> not side and side. [Scribe assist by
Sandro Hawke <http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Sandro_Hawke> ]

Christian de Sainte Marie
<http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/index.php?title=Christian_de_Sainte_M
arie&action=edit> : is symmetric

Harold Boley
<http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/index.php?title=Harold_Boley&action=e
dit> : prefer not to go back to left and right

Dave Reynolds <http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Dave_Reynolds> : +1 on
left/right being (slightly) better

Sandro Hawke <http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Sandro_Hawke> : do not
want to get your rules back from RIF with equalities flipped

Chris Welty <http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Chris_Welty> : discussion
was that equality is symmetric, and we didn't want to force people to
choose left and right

PROPOSED: shall we switch from Equal/side/side to Equal/left/right ?

Sandro Hawke <http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Sandro_Hawke> : leave it
as is: three
Sandro Hawke <http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Sandro_Hawke> : changing
it: Jos, Sandro, (dave reynolds)
Sandro Hawke <http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Sandro_Hawke> : I'm
willing to drop it on the graounds that it's a lot of work to change.
[Scribe assist by Sandro Hawke
<http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Sandro_Hawke> ]

leave as is

Working on other BLD updates, I found that it would not
be much work to change. I would be willing to do this small,
reasonable change (also in the XSD) before more test cases
(so far only factorial.rif) etc. would make it hard to implement.

Hence my proposal.

Best,
Harold