RE: 5.1.6 Rule language coverage <--: UCR Requirements Text

From: Paul Vincent <pvincent@tibco.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:04:35 -0700
To: "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: "Christian de Sainte Marie" <csma@ilog.fr>, "RIF WG" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

> > How about:
> >
> > RIF* must allow** rule interchange*** between common deployed****
rule
> > engines. =20
> >
> > * =3D RIF, the format, any extensions, and appropriate translators
>
> Standard extensions or third-party non-standard extensions?

[PV>] Can a 3rd-party non-standard extension be part of / be regulated
by a standard such as RIF? I'd assume extensions must be constrained to
"standard extensions" (for what its worth).

* = RIF, the format, any standard extensions, and appropriate
translators

> > ** =3D subject to the development of appropriate compliant
translators
> > *** =3D interchange of rulesets against either a prespecified fact
or =
> > data
> > model, or including said fact or data model
> > **** =3D rule engines limited to individual research topics or
> > institutions are assumed not to be both common and deployed; however
RIF
> > does not exclude these being covered.
>
> If standard extensions, then when do you think we can achieve this?
> Certainly not in the next couple years, right?  We'd have to subsume
the
> prolog standardization work, etc.  And every time some rule vendor
added
> a feature, we would have failed in this goal until we caught up.

[PV>] I'd say that these issues are inherent in RIF as a concept. The
lack of metrics / difficulty in assessing whether this requirement is
handled does not though detract from the general requirement for
coverage. IMHO.