Re: [RIF] DTB comments

From: Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:17:42 +0200
To: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
CC: Stella Mitchell <cleo@us.ibm.com>, RIF <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

>>       Section 4.4.2
>>              add pred:numeric-not-equal
>
> Why? It is not backed up by any XPath/XQuery function. If you think we
> need inequality-predicates per datatype, I think this should be raised
> as an issue. I do not remember any resolution which had decided to do
> such a thing.

There are other functions not backed up by XQuery functions, such as
greater than or equal.
XQuery does not need numeric--not-equal, because as negation.  BLD does
not have negation, so one could argue that it should be there.
In any case, numeric--not-equal can be seen as a shortcut for
"numeric-greater or numeric-less", just like numeric-greater-equal is a
shortcut for "numeric-greater or numeric-equal".  The question is then:
why define a shortcut for the latter case, but not for the former?

Best, Jos

--
Jos de Bruijn            debruijn@inf.unibz.it
+390471016224         http://www.debruijn.net/