Re: one thing we forgot

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 13:31:30 -0400
Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> > In the following I assume we do *not* differentiate dialects by pointing
> > from instance documents to the locations where their schemas are defined
> > (via xsi:schemaLocation, xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation, or similar:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xmlschema11-1-20060831/#xsi_schemaLocation
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xmlschema11-1-20060831/#schema-loc).
> >
> > What about having an ***optional*** attribute, dialect, on <Document>?
> > It optionally specifies the dialect the sender intends this Document to
> > be validated against.
>
> I don't think that works.  The sender says it's Dialect 1, which the
> receiver has never heard of.  It happens to fall into the intersection
> of Dialect 2 (which the receiver implements, and the sender has never
> heard of) and Dialect 1, so it's perfectly usable.  But if the attribute
> is present, the document will have to be discarded, right?

What about "dialects" (as the attr name) instead of "dialect"?
The publisher would be able to specify several dialects
(with the or-semantics). The publisher is interested to make his doc as widely
available as possible, so he'll specify either the best known dialect (e.g.,
BLD) or as many dialects as is reasonable.

If the publisher specifies some rare dialect that nobody knows then, perhaps,
he does not want others to use that document - so it is ok.

	--michael