Re: one thing we forgot

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 01:53:05 -0400
To: kifer@cs.sunysb.edu (Michael Kifer)
Cc: public-rif-wg@w3.org (RIF WG)

> There is nothing in the current XML or presentation syntax that
> identifies a document as belonging to a particular dialect, like BLD or PRD.
> Without this it is not clear how an external application will know what to
> do with a set of rules found somewhere out there. I think this calls for a
> mandatory attribute for the document tag. Can also be done with a mandatory
> meta annotation, but I think this is important enough to be part of the synta
> x.

I don't think this was forgotten.  Every time it's come up, so far, I've
successfully argued against including this kind of thing, because of how
it interacts with forward and backward compatibility.  I think it's
better to simply recognize the syntactic features you need to recognize,
instead of also needing to understand the names of collections of those
features.