Re: RIF Core, and how much is PRD allowed to diverge from BLD [Was: Re: [PRD] Issues to resolve before publication]

Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Boley, Harold wrote:
>> Production Rule languages such as the widely used CLIPS
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLIPS) employ predicates
>> like car_problem with named arguments.
>
> I wasn't talking about named arguments in general but the specific
> case of "named argument uniterms with the semantics as defined in BLD"
> which is what I took the term "NAU" to stand for.
>
>> CLIPS (Wikipedia rule1 is a "pure production rule"):
>>
>> (deffacts trouble_shooting
>>     (car_problem (name ignition_key) (status on))
>>     (car_problem (name engine) (status wont_start))
>>     (car_problem (name headlights) (status work))
>>  )
>
> In CLIPS those are "unordered facts" (or deftemplate facts) and I
> believe you can partially match against them. For example you could
> also have a rule:
>
> (defrule rule1
>     (car_problem (status wont_start))
>      =>
>     (assert (car_problem (name suspectedStarter))
>  )
>
> and it would still match those facts even though some arguments are
> missing.
yes this is correct. Named arguments on a pattern is a subset of the
available fields on the fact.

> Thus I believe the CLIPS representation corresponds to more closely
> frames in RIF not to NAUs. I would certainly include Frames in core.
I still dislike that Frames insist on an OID, would be happier if that
could be dropped. Whole point with a pattern is that it's not pointing
to a specific instance. I understand that this can be hidden as an
implementation detail, I still think it's a cludge.

> My knowledge of CLIPS only comes from checking the online manuals not
> from deep experience so I would be prepared to corrected on this.
If you have any PR Qs you, or anyone else, can ping me on irc #drools @
irc.codehaus.org (web gateway provided)
http://labs.jboss.org/drools/irc.html

--
JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire,