Re: regrets telecon on Tuesday

Christian de Sainte Marie wrote:

> Jos,
>
> Jos de Bruijn wrote:
>>
>> [...]  Additionally, people might get confused between frames and
>> named argument uni terms [I have already seen this in our working group].
>> (For those who are still confused: named argument uniterms are merely
>> a complicated way of writing terms; they have nothing to do whatsoever
>> with frames)
>
> That's interesting... Can you be more specific, please?
>
> I was under the impression, indeed, that some, and maybe most, people in
> the WG understood, from the discussion and examples, that named argument
> uniterms were related to frames (e.g. Harold justified them by the need
> for anonymous frames).
>
> Can you explain in some more details why they are not? With an example,
> maybe?

in a named uniterm, each (named) argument needs to be present, exactly
once, or, respectively the named uniterms

person( firstname -> "Christian", lastname -> "de Sainte Marie")

and

person( firstname -> "Christian")

have nothing to do with each other... the only thing which you gain is
that order of arguments is irrelevant, i.e. the first one could also be
written:

person( lastname -> "de Sainte Marie", firstname -> "Christian")

whereas, on the contrary in frames, any slot can appear 0 or several
times, i.e.

person1[firstname -> "Christian", lastname -> "de Sainte Marie"]

and

person1[firstname -> "Christian"] AND person1[lastname -> "de Sainte Marie"]

say the exactly same thing, i.e. mutually entail each other.

and even writing

person1[firstname -> "Christian", lastname -> "de Sainte Marie",
affiliation -> "ILOG"]

or even

person1[firstname -> "Christian", lastname -> "de Sainte Marie",
affiliation -> "ILOG", affiliation -> "W3C"]

would both imply the formeer two.

That's I guess what Jos wanted to say...

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Polleres
email: axel@polleres.net  url: http://www.polleres.net/

rdf:Resource owl:differentFrom xsd:anyURI .