Re: ISSUE-43 ISSUE 41 - Proposed resolution for membership and classification

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:34:35 +0000
To: Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it>
CC: Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr>, "Public-Rif-Wg (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Jos de Bruijn wrote:

>>> An issue to take into account in discussing this is whether and how
>>> it would impact Dave's use case for the membership formula [1].
>>
>> After refreshing my memory on the definition of # in BLD, I am a
>> little bit ashamed of having started that discussion, here and at the
>> telecon (blush)...
>>
>> However, I think I heard Jos and maybe others say that, in its BLD
>> specification, # could not be used to state membership in types
>> defined in an XML schema, the way I imagined to use it in my example.
>>
>> Can someone explain me why?
>
> Could you send a pointer to the example you mentioned?
>
> # denotes class membership, and an XML schema type is not the same thing
> as a class.
> For example, members of a class are also members of all superclasses.
> This is not the case for XML schema types.

Well in the case of the highly sketchy proposal from F2F[N-1] the object
of the # relation really can be a class, it is designated by a URI which
is related to the XML schema type qname (related either by qname
concatenation or a SAWSDL annotation); it is not itself the XML schema
type, just so closely linked that applications can relate the two.

However, I completely agree that there is no direct equivalent of the
subclass relationship between XML schema types and so the value of using
# given that you can't use ## is negligible.

Dave
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England