Re: namespace prefix definitions in presentation syntax

> Michael Kifer wrote:
> > The RIF specification says that curies are NOT to be used in XML
>
> Sure, in XML syntax I can use the "regular" namespace mechanism of XML.
> no problem, I know how to do this.

Note that curies are NOT namespaces. They are just a macro mechanism, which
is not a standard in XML.

> > only
> > absolute URIs. In the presentation syntax they are used as an informal
> > shorthand.
>
> So, if I understand this correctly -  that there are no curies in the
> presentation syntax - then what I just suggest is just to formalize the
> informal shorthand use in RIF presentation syntax a bit, by adopting one
> of the ways other standards define it... shouldn't cause major trouble,
> or no? I am having major pain writing down examples otherwise...

The presentation syntax is not a parseable syntax anyway. Many things have
been left unspecified, including delimiters etc. At attempt to give a
standard syntax to curies will create a wrong impression that they are part
of the syntax, while they are not. For instance, when is a curie a curie?
In what contexts should a:b be expanded? Into what exactly should it be
expanded?  For instance, in "xsd:string"^^rif:iri and
"xsd:string"^^xsd:string, what is to be expanded and what not?

If you start formalizing the curies you would have to go over all that
stuff and will get bogged down with the other details of the syntax. This
is precisely what we do not want to do now.

At the same time, I am not against developing a normative RIF presentation
syntax. If we decide to do this (there were numerous objections to this in
the past), then a separate task force could do this. However, i do not
think we should be doing this now --- too much unfinished work hanging over
this group.

	--michael