Re: local value space in Herbrand interpretations

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:34:00 +0000
Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org> wrote:

> Chris Welty wrote:
> >

> > This is a public comment sent by Thomas on Nov 7 that was overlooked.  I
> > think I understand what he's asking, has anyone thought about this?
> >
> > -Chris
> >
> > Thomas Krekeler wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> my question is about the value space of rif:local in Herbrand
> >> interpretations.
>
> I suggest to answer as follows:
>
> rif:local is a symbol space in RIF, not a datatype. That means it
> doesn't have a particular value space or lexical-to-value mapping defined.
>
> Given this, I am unsure about what the question means, but maybe that
> already gives an answer?

I also am not sure what he wants. My interpretation is that he is
asking about a "preferred way to implement" these things. If so, he has
correctly understood that an obvious way to implement them is to give these
symbols unique names in different documents. He also proposes a way to do so,
and his method is perfectly reasonable.

> BTW: also note that RIF is not restricted to Herbrand interpretations.

Right. But just looking at Herbrand interpretations is enough for his purposes.
So, in short, I think our answer should be just "yes". :-)

michael