Re: [RIF Test Cases] Abridged Presentation syntax

H Hassan,

> Hi Adrian,
>
> I appreciate the motivation you invoke for introducing an Abridged
> Presentation Syntax (APS). This makes an APS expression an abbreviation
> of a PS expression, itself an abbreviation for the normative XML syntax.
> In DTB, Axel Polleres already defined abbreviations (although formally:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/DTB#Shortcuts_for_Constants_in_RIF.27s_Presentation_Syntax)
> and he used them for the examples of the DTB document. My question is,
> are the abridged forms for DTB consistent with those your introduce
> in http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/UCR#Use_Cases? If not, can it be
> made so? If so, could the two be specified formally along the rest of
> the EBNF rules for BLD Rules and BLD Conditions?

Thanks for the hint - didn't know about the new abridged syntax in DTB. At the time when we specified the abridged presentation syntax (actually it was you and Harold who started it) for UCR, there was nothing in DTB.

Will check if both are consistent or something is missing in DTB. Moreover, I will then simply link to DTB for the syntax of examples in UCR.

>Currently Axel's rules
> are hyperlinked to where they are defined in other W3C documents all
> over the place as an extension of the original BLD EBNF. It would be
> good to put together somewhere the complete set of lexical and syntactic
> EBNF rules for the real PS as it is actually used in *all* RIF documents
> (whether UCR, Core, BLD, DTB, PRD, ...).

Yes, agree. I think it is now time to review again the full and abriged presentation syntax, complete it, and solve open issues. For instance, I remember the ":-" or "=>" question for rules presentation.

We need final versions to update the examples in UCR, PRD, Core, ... and Test Cases.

>That would surely help *me* in
> my task to provide a correct working APS parser to automate generating
> the serialized XML for of all the examples in these documents
> (http://www.w3.org/2008/08/19-rif-minutes.html#action08).
>
> At any rate, I will be on vacation from tonight through August 31 and I
> will resume work on this after I am back.

Enjoy your vacations.

-Adrian