Re: production rule object creation actions and frame axioms

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:47:57 -0700
Gary Hallmark <gary.hallmark@oracle.com> wrote:

> Can you give an example of a ruleset with a logical function that occurs
> only the head or the body (not both) of a single rule but is not a
> skolem function (i.e. cannot be replaced with an existentially
> quantified variable)?

my pint was that almost every function symbol can be treated as a
Skolem. Here is an example where it cannot be (I think):

Forall X,Y,Z: p(f(X,Z),g(Y,Z)) :- q(X,Y,Z).

If we deskolemize f then we get:

Forall X,Z Exists V Forall Y:  p(V,g(Y,Z)) :- q(X,Y,Z).

Now, we cannot deskolemize g because the quantification prefix is linear.
We need to somewho have something like

Forall Y,Z Exists W (that W is to replace f(Y,Z)), but we cannot squeeze that
Forall Y,Z Exists W into what we already have (Forall X,Z Exists V Forall Y)
without changing the meaning of the already deskolemized function f).

> I was hoping to "support" skolem functions (but no other logical
> functions) in PRD by translating skolems in the head (only those that
> occur in the "object" position of a classification) to a call to the
> class constructor, and translating skolems in the body to an
> existentially quantified variable.

I think you also need to allow existentials in the object position in the
frames. But in any case, you can construct non-terminating examples even with
just the classification unless further restrictions are placed.
I think it is getting too cumbersome. But if we do not limit ourselves to the
core (which some people want to have decidable -- I do not care personally)
then there is no problem.

	--michael