imports + metadata

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:48:50 -0400
To: public-rif-wg@w3.org

I'm brainstorming here (sitting in OWLED)....

I wonder about having both:

      import   and   importMeta

'import' of a RIF document would merge in the rules in that document
'importMeta' of a RIF document would merge in the metadata and also the
      triples which encode the syntactic structure (which we haven't
      standardized but we should, and Axel made a proposal [1]
'import' of an OWL XML file [2] or an RDF/XML-file which is an
      owl:Ontology would (conceptually merge in the OWL-DL axioms,
      ignoring all triples not playing a role in the ontology
'importMeta' of such a document would give you the triples (ie the
      triples which encode the syntactic structure of the ontology).
      I'm not sure how you say you want OWL-Full inference or RDFS
      inference or something -- I think you "import" rules which
      implement that inference, but the import is understood to be
      symbolic -- you're allowed to use your own equivalent reasoner.

I suspect this isn't your style, Jos :-)  -- I don't think it's a 100.0%
solution, you have a squint a little --  but it has a certain elegance
which might make it worthwhile.

Thoughts?

Oh, I should also note that folks have been working on clearing up OWL
Imports with a new spec for OWL 1.1 [3].  I haven't read it yet.  (I
doubt it addresses this perspective -- OWL pretends (sometimes
awkwardly) to have a subset relationship between dialects, so there is
less need to care about which one you are using.)

      -- Sandro

[1] big table near the bottom of
    http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/AbstractModel
[2] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/XML_Serialization