Re: XML Syntax Issues / root element

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:41:01 +0100
To: "Boley, Harold" <Harold.Boley@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
Cc: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, public-rif-wg@w3.org

Boley, Harold wrote:

>> Why are you using "type" (eg rif:type) instead of xsi:type there?
>
> For uniformity reasons: rif:type is more general than xsi:type.
> For example, we also have rif:type="rif:local".

That's not a problem, xsi:type can be used to refer to any schema
element including user defined ones and so can certainly be used to
refer to one defined in a separate W3C spec.

More significant is that the value of xsi:type is a QName whereas
rif:type currently seems to be a curi.

I'm happy to use rif:type attribute, seems like a good move to me.

Dave
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England