Re: example of asn07 as OWL subset, musings on RDF/XML

Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org> writes:

> > So, I think it's clear that a RIF document *can* be transmitted in
> > RDF/XML.  The data model of the syntax is compatible with the RDF data
> > model (which isn't surprising, since at this level of details it's a
> > generic object model).  And if we make a non-RDF/XML syntax, we can
> > define a GRDDL transform to RDF/XML, so the semantic issues the same.
>
> Well, not quite. I mean, any XMl can be transformed to RDF by the GRDDL
> detour, but I'd not expect GRDDL transforms are to be dealt with
> natively (at the semantic level) in RIF), whereas we seem to intend to
> do so with RDF. I just wondered what RIF/RDF *means* in RIF if RDF
> itself has a meaning in RIF by the discussed embedding/model theory
> combination...
>
> If we say that RIF documents have a meaning in terms of RDF and RDF
> graphs have a meaning in terms of RDF vice versa, then I am somewhat
> afraid that we  run IMO into something strange (which was what I was
> trying to ask at the end of the phone conf today...)
>
> 1) Take an RDF graph
>
> s p o .
>
> 2) In RIF this means:
>
> Forall s[p->o].
>
> 3) This is in "RIF/RDF" something like (I assume here the RDF reading of =
>
> the RDF/XML):
>
> _:f a Forall.
> _:f rif:formula _:f1.
> _:f1 a Frame.
> _:f1 rif:oid s.
> s a rif:Const.
> _:f1 rif:slot _:s.
> _:s rif:slotTerm p.
> p a rif:Const.
> _:s rif:slotValue o.
> o a rif:Const.
>
> (I had to invent new properties here for the slotTerm  and slotValue,=20
> BTW, because I wouldn't know how to otherwise tweak the term-value pair=20
> into RDF)

So far, so good.  What you've done here is taken an RDF triple,
translated it into a BLD expression, and then shown us RDF triples which
fully describe that BLD expression.

>From an RDF perspective, the triple in step 1 says that <s> has a
property <p> which has value <o>.  The RIF statement in step 2 says the
same thing.  The RDF statements in step 3 say that the RIF statement in
step 2 exists.   And if you want to construct a description of the
step-3 statements, you can, but nothing compels you to.

> 4) Now, this in turn again is to be interpreted in RIF as:

"is to be interpreted"?  This is where you lose me.  I don't see
anything automatic here.  Step-3 was a description of the Step-1
statement, useful because we have a lot of things we want to say about
the Step-1 statement.

I don't think the step-1 triple entails the step-3 triples; not in any
logic we need to worry about.

This is why it seems the same as with GRDDL.   There are tranformations
you can make, but they are not entailments in a logic, they just go from
one graph to a different graph.

Thoughts?

     -- Sandro