Re: [TED] Abstract Syntax and Abstract-to-Concrete Mappings

> kifer@cs.sunysb.edu (Michael Kifer) writes:
> >
> > Sandro, you are looking in a wrong place. Look at the abstract syntax.
> > Instead, you are looking at a translation algorithm!
>
> No, I don't think so.
>
> Yes, I could have compared the abstract syntax.  In that case I would
> have compared what's in the BLD draft...
>
>    Equal      ::= 'Equal'
>                     '('
>                         'side' '->' TERM
>                         'side' '->' TERM
>                     ')'
>
> to some asn07 like this:
>
>     class Equal
>         property left: Term
>         property right: Term
>
> in which case I also have a strong preference for the asn07.

I, on the other hand, do not. With the BNF-like syntax one could even write
examples (although a bit awkward), while this cannot be done with asn07.

> But, no, instead I chose to focus on the specification of the mapping
> from abstract syntax to presentation syntax.  For that, I quoted the BLD
> text which specifies the mapping for Equal and showed it with the a
> single line of sbnf which performs the same function.  (The fact that
> the text in BLD shows more of how to one might perform that
> transformation, instead of *just* specifying it -- that surely accounts
> for why it is so much more complicated -- but I don't see that as a
> benefit.)

The transformation establishes the relationship between the abstract syntax
and the concrete one. One cannot have several syntaxes in the document
without telling what the relationship is.

	--michael