Re: sbnf (striped BNF)

the requirement is to have both a linear presentation syntax and an XML
schema-specified syntax, both with a common abstract syntax and semantics.

one approach is to just write down the 2 syntaxes, one in BNF and the
other in XML schema, and verify by hand that they are the same at an
abstract level.

a second approach is to write down the abstract syntax in some formal
notation and use software to generate the presentation syntax and the
XML schema.

a third approach is to write down the presentation syntax in some formal
notation and use software to generate the XML schema.
BNF might work, but you have to show how to generate a "usable" XML
schema from a BNF description.