Re: [BLD] proposed text for interpretations

[I originally forgot to include the mailing list in this e-mail, so I'm
resending it]

Michael,

The order of introducing data types and truth values is not a very big
issue, so I won't object.

You missed the most important difference:

>> Basic semantic structures. Given a set of datatypes DT which includes

Semantic structures are defined relative to a set of datatypes, which is
not fixed.

>> all data types supported by RIF, a basic semantic structure, I, is a
>> tuple of the form <D,IC, IV, IF, IR>, where
>
> As I said, it I believe that it is didactically better to define the effect
> of the data types after that piece.

OK, fine. however, could you change the sentence just before the two
bullets which defined the semantics of data types to something like:
"For every primitive datatype symsp it must hold that:" (the main thing
is that the condition spells out that it is required to hold for every
datatype).

>> * D, called the domain of I, is a non-empty countable set of elements,
>>
>> * IC is a mapping from Const to elements of D, such that for every
>> symbol l^^u in Const,
>>
>>   *   if u is a datatype in DT, then IC(l^^u)=3DLu(l),

>> Semantic structures and the entailment would also need to be defined
>> with respect to a set of datatypes DT.
>
> Hold on. The above was a definition of semantic structures, so I fail to

The above was the definition of "basic semantic structures". I refer
here to the definition of "semantic structure", which is in the section
on frames.

> understand your last sentence. Did you mean truth valuation? What exactly
> needs to be changed there?

The thing is that in my proposal semantic structures are defined
relative to a set of datatypes; so, entailment would also need to be
defined relative to a set of datatypes.

Best, Jos

--
                         debruijn@inf.unibz.it

Jos de Bruijn,        http://www.debruijn.net/
In heaven all the interesting people are
missing.
  - Friedrich Nietzsche