Re: ISSUE-43: Subclass relationship ## in RIF-BLD

> Thanks Michael,
>
> > Objections have been raised to the inclusion of the subclass relationship,
> > a##b, in RIF-BLD on the grounds that it duplicates rdfs:subclassOf.
>
> I think it would make sense to generalise the objection to:
> <<
> RIF including subclass (and other similar metamodel-type relationships?)
> duplicates the data model specifications used to provide data for RIF
> rules. >>

The question is what is a data model. Many KR people consider Isa hierarchy
to be as much part of the application as of the data model. And it really
is -- unlike saying that the type of a property abc is foobar.

> I have to say I am neutral on the topic - with maybe a slight preference for keeping it out of RIF BLD on the basis that
> - BLD is (AFAIK) meant to be a "common dialect subset",

It does not shape up this way. BLD has a lot of stuff that most
languages do not support. Frames, to name just one :-)

> - subclass relationships are simply a special type of relationship test (eg why not consider PartOf relationships?) (or maybe relationship assertion),

PartOf does not have logical semantics. It is just a UML convention.

On the other hand, "subproperty" is a reasonable ting to add. However, this
is by far not as common as subclass. For instance neither Java, nor SQL
(incl. SQL/3), nor Entity-Relationship model (of the standard variety --
there are extensions that include everything under the sun), nor C++, nor
Smalltalk, nor F-logic have a builtin construct for subproperties.

> - in Prod Rules we "generally generalize" to "memberOf" ie X is a memberOf parts of Y or subclasses of Y (etc). Due to most PR languages using Java as their
> base object model, and with multiple inheritance being passé in that world, OO / frame relationship tests tend to be rare* (to say the least), and assertions

But this is RIF-BLD, not RIF-PRD! In RIF-PRD you might make a different
decision.

> - well...
>
> But I understand this issue is of much more importance to the KR folk, which is why I am officially neutral (for now!).

Good :-)

> Paul Vincent
> TIBCO | ETG/Business Rules
>
> PS: * You could argue that logically, PR are often testing for "subclass" - its just the the object model implementation / used for writing the rules is not
> defined in a pure (multiple inheritance) OO fashion, so the data model is "flattened" compared to other OO models ...

Maybe. But PRD is a different beast than BLD, and we are discussion BLD.

	cheers
	  --michael