Re: the mechanism for signatures in RIF

Michael Kifer wrote:

> So, how should we rephrase? Or should we? Right now we say that
> rif:uri is a URI, not a URI ref.

You've convinced me that ref should be in the syntax not in the sort,
wrong of me to suggest otherwise.

However, we'll probably also want to shift to IRIs.

How about text like (largely lifted from the Sparql draft):

"rif:iri Symbols of this sort have the form "XYZ"^^rif:iri where XYZ is
an IRI as specified in [RFC3987]. IRIs are a generalization of URIs
[RFC3986] and are fully compatible with URIs and URLs.

In the concrete XML and human readable syntax relative IRI references
are permitted in which case they will be resolved relative to a base IRI
as per Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax [RFC3986] using
only the basic algorithm in Section 5.2. Neither Syntax-Based
Normalization nor Scheme-Based Normalization (described in sections
6.2.2 and 6.2.3 of RFC3986) are performed."

The second paragraph would move to a separate concrete syntax section as
that gets developed. We'd also need to define how the base IRI can be
specified in the human readable syntax but that is very low priority.