Re: Approaching an XML syntax for RIF

From: Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:33:21 +0100
To: "Boley, Harold" <Harold.Boley@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
CC: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, public-rif-wg@w3.org

Boley, Harold wrote:

> For an Interchange Format, fully striped syntax carries too much
> baggage that can be easily reconstructed by a 'stripe expander'.

I understand that and, yes, you keep all the benefits of
forward/backward compatibility. But what would be the purpose of
skipping stripes when serializing, if you have to re-expand them before
deserializing anyway?

I would be in favor of keeping RIF processing as simple as possible,
even if the result is ugly (I mean, I wonder how many people will adopt
RIF because its XML is beautiful; and how many will drop it if it is
ugly :-)

Anyway, stripe-skipping (whether or not to skip stripes and which
stripes) is a side issue in Sandro's proposal on how we approach the XML
syntax for RIF, and we do not need to make a decision anytime soon, do we?