Re: Approaching an XML syntax for RIF

> Sandro Hawke wrote:
> >
> > The idea of stripe-skipping is to say that we can omit certain
> > XML elements -- skipping directly to their child elements -- because
> > they carry only redundant information.
>
> What is the benefit of stripe-skipping?
>
> I agree with Dave: this seems to put forward and backward compatibility,
> whereas the whole idea is to make extending dialects in a
> forward/backward compatible way easy.

Did you mean to say "... put forward and backward compatibility at risk,
whereas ...", or something like that?    It does make them more
complicated, but I don't think it makes them unworkable.

> In addition, it makes deriving the XML syntax from the abstract one more
> complex.

To be frank, I think my main motivation is that fully-striped XML,
because of the redundant information, looks offensively badly designed
to people reading the XML before reading the explanation as to why it
has all the redundant information.   My experience with this comes mostly
from hearing people's first reactions to seeing RDF/XML.  (Later on,
they have different concerns about RDF/XML.)

Seriously, if I had to vote between stripe-skipping and not, I think I'd
abstain.   I just wanted to give the WG some options here.

      -- Sandro