RE: (TED] SPARQL, data sources and blackboxes [was (Re: [UCR] ISSUE-12 and ACTION6198)]

From: Stan Devitt <stan.devitt@gwi-ag.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:45:15 +0100
To: "Christian de Sainte Marie" <csma@ilog.fr>
Cc: "Dave Reynolds" <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "RIF WG" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian de Sainte Marie [mailto:csma@ilog.fr]
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 2:24 PM
To: Stan Devitt
Cc: Dave Reynolds; RIF WG
Subject: Re: (TED] SPARQL, data sources and blackboxes [was (Re: [UCR]
ISSUE-12 and ACTION6198)]

> 1.  What if the RIF compliant application is a custom "editor"
> designed to create or publish a collection RIF rules?  Surely it need
> not be able to execute them.

... Is there something that we should do about that?

[Stan] I would like to see it explicit.  It helps to keeps us honest
with respect to the separation between "interchange" and "evaluation."

> 3.  What about a A RIF formatter.

What kind of RIF formatter do you have in mind?

[Stan] I was initially thinking of visual or aural (i.e., not related to
semantic evaluation of the rule set.) But, of course, at the other
extreme is a "translator" which "formats a rule set" for consumption by
an actual rule engine. A RIF based editor might import from and export
to such formats, becoming a translator of sorts.