Re: F2F5 Agenda

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007, Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com> said:

> Dave Reynolds wrote:
>>
>> I like some of the better names but I don't quite see how this version
>> of the sort sub-diagram solves the issues. Though that might just be the
>> lateness of the hour :-)
It is not a sub-diagram. I don't see your point here. Any term is types by
some sort. What's wrong in that?

>> First, Constants include things like numbers and dates, so they can't
>> uniformly have an xs:anyURI id. You could split Constants into Symbols
>> and Literals (or TypedValues or something) - Symbols could have an id
>> (xs:anyURI) whereas TypedValues would have a lexicalForm (an xs:string).

We have all this things already in R2ML but I just put a question to the
participants if we consider to sub-class constants.

>> Second, just considering Symbols I don't see how this resolves the
>> divergence between the metamodel reading and the abstract syntax
>> reading. Your BNF suggests that you intend this to have an abstract
>> syntax reading but I don't think we are saying that a Symbol used in a
>> predicate position (for example) would have an ASort specification
>> inline in the syntax at the point of use (at least I hope not).

Here you have partially right. Probably you we have to use a reference to
an already specified sort. But in this case RIF Core needs a specified
vocabulary too. I don't know if this is agreed by all participants.

> Sigh, of course that should have been either function/Asort or
> predicate/Bsort ... definitely too late ...

A uniterm can be sorted by any sort. If it is a predicate or function it
depends of the context in which it is used.

> Dave

I hope this clarify a little bit,
Adrian