Re: ACTION-219: review of CORE (more)

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:44:31 +0000
Cc: "'Ginsberg, Allen'" <AGINSBERG@imc.mitre.org>, <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>, <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
To: "Gerd Wagner" <wagnerg@tu-cottbus.de>

On 14 Feb 2007, at 13:07, Gerd Wagner wrote:

>> So I take this to be similar to Allen's arrogation of the term
>> "logic" to mean only classical logic.

>> So I respectively request that people refrain from making such
>> bombastic claims, regardless of their personal perceptions of the
>> merits of those claims.
>
> Yes, Bijan, you are right.
>
> But sometimes it is tempting making a strong claim to
> counter a misconception (namely that true logic is
> classical logic and therefore that's what we should
> try to use/impose in/to the world of computation).

I agree it is tempting. I was so tempted wrt to *your* claim :) But
as fun as sarcasm and bombast are, sometimes it's just more
productive to refrain.

(I am v. bad at resisting this temptation, or the sarcasm temptation,
in a lot of circumstances.)

Glad we're on the same page!

(FWIW, I don't think there's bad faith anywhere in here! I just think
a little more generosity on terminological matters and acknowledgment
of other terms and perspectives would be good.)

Taking such disputes offline until one reaches a resolution is
sometimes helpful as well.

Cheers,
Bijan.