Re: Reminder: pending discussion "membership" (pending discussion on ACTION-350)

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:05:23 -0500
To: axel@platon.escet.urjc.es
Cc: "Jos de Bruijn" <debruijn@inf.unibz.it>, axel@polleres.net, "Public-Rif-Wg" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

> >> RDF's subclassOf does not cut it because
> >>
> >> 1. It imposes additional axioms, which are not commonly accepted.
> >
> >   Do you have references to back up this statement?
>
> Why are # ## then more commonly accepted (it seems from the discussion
> that they aren't

who said they are?

Since RDF is out there, its notion of subclass can be said to be more common.
But I would not claim that it is more commonly accepted because, from my
experience, people do not understand its implications and do not give a
damn, since most applications are trivial.

> and they are syntactic sugar anyway)? Anyone can define a
> dialect where the additionally implied axioms for # and ## hold...

# and ## do not have additional axioms. They have fewer axioms.

	--michael