Re: Friendly amendment to rif:subClassOf

<snip/>

>> rif:subclassOf is not a new concept. It is there in
>> every standard OO language. Jos' arg was that it is a new word in the
>> vocabulary, and Dave was questioning whether RIF should define such a
>> concept (incl. rdfs:subclassOf) in the first place.
>
> I'm just hoping it makes what you proposed a little more palatable. But
> let's see - Dave and Jos?  Does Michael need still more coffee or do I?

My argument was that there are already semantic Web languages for
defining ontologies (including the subclass relation), so that RIF
should probably not invent a new vocabulary for defining ontologies (or
classifications), but rather show how existing vocabularies for ontology
definition (including (subsets of) RDFS) can be combined with the RIF.

Chris' proposal (rif:subclass rdfs:subproperty rdfs:subclass; use
rdf:type for instance statements?) seems to extend the RDFS vocabulary,
rather than creating a new vocabulary.
This could be a possible way to go for exchanging data models which do
not have reflexive subclass statements; however, I am not 100% convinced
that we need this extension.

I guess an important question is really whether people want to use
several different data models in the same RIF rule set.

Best, Jos

> -Chris
>
>>> Intuitively, it seemed to me that every rif:subclass relation is an
>>> rdfs:subclass relation, but there may be rdfs:subclass relations that
>>> a translator will not want to consider as rif:subclass (e.g. the
>>> reflexive cases, the cases where one of the arguments is not a class,
>>> the case where one of the arguments is a piece of rdf or rif syntax,
>>> etc).
>>>
>>> I guess it depends on whether you want every rdfs:subclass relation
>>> (including the entailed ones) in rdf graphs to entail rif:subclass in
>>> RIF rules or whether you want a translator to do it.  I could go
>>> either way.
>>>
>>> Note that rif:subclass rdfs:subproperty rdfs:subclass does not make
>>> rif:subclass reflexive - it does mean that for every A rif:subclass B
>>> we would also have A rdfs:subclass A and B rdfs:subclass B, but
>>> that's just what rdfs:subclass means.  Shouldn't be a problem for
>>> rif:subclass.
>>>
>>> <chair>

>>> --
>>> Dr. Christopher A. Welty                    IBM Watson Research Center
>>> +1.914.784.7055                             19 Skyline Dr.
>>> cawelty@gmail.com                           Hawthorne, NY 10532
>>> http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty

--
Jos de Bruijn            debruijn@inf.unibz.it