Re: Friendly amendment to rif:subClassOf

> Michael Kifer wrote:
> > Actually, semantically rdfs:subClassOf is a subrelation of rif:subClassOf.
> > Not the other way around.
>
> </chair>
> I went back and forth on this.  I'm not sure it matters that much, as
> long as rif:subclass is not reflexive.   Since you haven't formally
> defined the semantics of rif:subclass yet, we could go either way.

The semantics has been defined formally. But you are right.
foo rif:subclassOf bar should imply foo rdfs:subclassOf bar.
I wrote my reply before having my morning coffee.

But I do not really see how your proposal is a compromise. It is just a
statement of a fact.  rif:subclassOf is not a new concept. It is there in
every standard OO language. Jos' arg was that it is a new word in the
vocabulary, and Dave was questioning whether RIF should define such a
concept (incl. rdfs:subclassOf) in the first place.

	--michael