Re: [RIFRAF] ACTION 173: Initial Ontology for Action Language Discriminators

Hassan Aït-Kaci <hak@ilog.com> wrote on 04/25/2007 09:45:48 AM:

> Axel (and Leora) - the correct word is "INERTIA". It is used to mean
> that things stay unchanged unless explicitly transformed - i.e. frame
> axiom. See e.g.
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/tag/cc/tutorial/describing.html

Ah, inertia!!
Thanks, Hassan. The joke's on me about that one; I started working on the
frame problem back in the late 80s. And still I had trouble recognizing
"inertia" in its jumbled form....  :-)

Anyway, Alex, as regards your comment, reinterpreted now ( ;) ), yes, it
is certainly the case that different action languages treat the principle
of inertia in different ways. I alluded to that in point 3.k, but I will
certainly make the point more explicit in the ontology. And, once I add in
individual languages to the ontology, I'll be sure to specify which
languages have explicit vs. implicit formulations.

Leora

> .
>
> -hak
>
> Axel Polleres wrote:
>

> > Leora Morgenstern wrote:
> >

> >> public-rif-wg-request@w3.org wrote on 04/25/2007 04:24:57 AM:
> >>
> >>  >
> >>  > Leora Morgenstern wrote:
> >>  > >
> >>  > > Attached please find the initial pass at an ontology for action
> >>  > > languages (Action 173).   > >
> >>  > >
> >>  > > Some remarks on the ontology.
> >>  > >
> >>  > > 1.I built my ontology on top of the ontology that Allen Ginsberg
had
> >>  > > created for Action 173 (ontologizing semantic discriminators).
This
> >>  > > approach has the advantage of dealing with at least some
integration
> >>  > > issues from the start, instead of deferring them to a later
date.
> >>  > >
> >>  > > 2. As discussed during earlier telecons, I broadened the
original
> >>  > > mandate for this action, which was to create an ontology for
> >>  > > discriminators for  ECA (event-condition-action) rules, which
are
> >> used
> >>  > > mainly to describe updates to databases. I looked at the more
> >> general
> >>  > > problem of discriminators for AI action languages.
> >>  > > These more general action languages would seem to be needed to
> >> represent
> >>  > > the use cases in the UCR document. (For example, in the use case

> >> Ruleset
> >>  > > Integration for Medical Decision Support, one reasons about
various
> >>  > > medical events, such as Bob’s Hb1AC levels increasing,
the
> >> doctor
> >>  > > prescribing various medications, Bob’s reactions to them,

> >> and Bob’s
> >>  > > taking a medical test.) ECA rules, which are much narrower in
> >> scope, can
> >>  > > be considered a subset of general action rules.
> >>  > >
> >>  > > Examples of such general AI action languages include the
situation
> >>  > > calculus, the event calculus, the fluent calculus, temporal
action
> >>  > > logics, and  the action description languages \cal{A}, and
\cal{C}
> >>  > >
> >>  > > 3. These languages share certain features, but differ on other
> >> features.
> >>  > > A list of features of interest follows:
> >>  > >     > > a. Division into sets of sentences: domain description,
> >> observation
> >>  > > sentences, queries. /(It is almost universally accepted to have
> >> at the
> >>  > > first two classes of sentences in action languages.)/
> >>  > > b. Intervals vs. time points. vs. both /(E.g., the event
calculus
> >> has
> >>  > > both time points and intervals; sitcalc has situations/time
points,
> >>  > > \cal{A} has time points.)/
> >>  > > c. Discrete time vs. continuous time /(Situation calculus:
discrete
> >>  > > time; fluent calculus,  event calculus: continuous time)/
> >>  > > d. Branching time vs. linear time; branching forward only vs.
> >> branching
> >>  > > both forward and backward /(Event calculus: linear time;
situation
> >>  > > calculus: forward branching time.)/
> >>  > > e. Causation as an explicit relation vs. concept explicit in
rule
> >> and/or
> >>  > > material implication. /(Explicit in \cal{C}; implicit in
temporal
> >> action
> >>  > > logics, EC, SC.)/
> >>  > > f. Causal rules; state constraints
> >>  > > g. Concurrency: concurrency disallowed; concurrent processes
> >> allowed,
> >>  > > but can’t have them starting at exactly the same time
> >>  > > (asynchronicity).  /(Fluent calculus, event calculus:
concurrency