Re: IRIs

Sandro Hawke wrote:

[snip]
> On the naming question -- do we call them IRIs or say "URI" even though
> we really mean IRI? -- I note that the SPARQL Last Call draft calls them
> IRIs [2], but SWEO (the Semantic Web Education and Outreach Interest
> Group) still seems to call them URIs.  I've suggested to its chair that
> SWEO talk about it with the relevant WGs (including us) If they're
> willing to switch to IRI in their documents, that should clear the path
> for us.

The SWEO IG simply did not (yet) face this issue, hence the usage of
URIs in its document.

I wonder, however, whether this is not something that should be
discussed with W3C's I18N guys instead (Richard Ishida & Co). The same
question will arise for a number of (not necessarily Semantic Web
related) groups, like, for example, HTML. It is, in fact, a general W3C
messaging issue, not a Semantic Web issue only...

Ivan

P.S. http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/idn-and-iri/en/all is a
nice document to read. The encoding is a bit more complicated than
described by Sandro, in fact: the international domain name part uses a
different transformation than the path part of the URI:-(