Re: [UCR] Action 9 and discussion of UCs

Christian de Sainte Marie wrote:
> My point is that I am not sure that this is what the "XML data"
> requiremnt is about ("RIF must be able to accept XML elements as data").
Think of practical and reasonable possible applications like the following:

1. You have XML documents containing elements giving addresses in the US
as follows

<entry>
   <name> ... </name>
  <address>
      <street-and-number> ... </street-and-number>
      <zip> ... </zip>
  </address>
   <telephone type=voice> ... </telephone>
   <telephone type=fax> ... </telephone>
 </entry>

A rule generates form such US-addresses addresses that can be used from
Europe.

2. You have XML documents containing bibliography data in whatever XML
format after Dublin core. A rule put them in a BibTex format e.g. that
of the OWL bibliography ontology based on BibTex from the University of
Toronto:
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/semanticweb/maponto/ontologies/BibTex.owl

3. You have a calendar expressed as an HTML table element. Rules specify
how to align conflicting entries in this calendar (e.g. an
appointmentfor me entered by myself overrides any appointment for me
entered by a secretary).

4. Consider an document containing product descriptions (e.g. a
publication list) and an ontology of the field of the products. The
product desc riptions are likely to be in HTML or XML. The ontology can
be in RDF or OWL. A rule would be convenient a means for enriching the
product descriptions with semantic annotations.

More examples could be given. In   my opinion, it would be a very
significant and very undesirable restriction if the RIF can not nbe used
for examples like those stressed above. I therefroe dreaw the
conclusion: "RIF must be able to accept XML elements as data".

QED :-)

Francois