W3C

- DRAFT -

RIF Telecon 24 Oct 2006

24 Oct 2006

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
AdrianGiurca, AlexKozlenkov, AxelPolleres, BobMoore, ChristianDeSainteMarie, ChrisWelty, DaveReynolds, DavidHirtle, DeborahNichols, FranšoisBry, FrankMcCabe, GaryHallmark, GerdWagner, GiorgosStoilos, HaroldBoley, HassanAitKaci, IgorMozetic, JeffPan, JohnHall, JosDeBruijn, LeoraMorgenstern, MalaMehrotra, MarkusKr÷tzsch, MikeDean, PaulaLaviniaPatranjan, PaulVincent, PeterPatelSchneider, SaidTabet, SandroHawke, StellaMitchell
Regrets
AllenGinsberg, MichaelSintek, MichaelKifer, ElisaKendall, MohamedZergaoui, JosDeRoo
Chair
Chris Welty
Scribe
Gary Hallmark

Contents


F2F4

Note: We will have a telecon next week.

Peter: please sign up now for f2f4

<JeffP> I will register

<LeoraMorgenstern> Peter, I will sign up.

<LeoraMorgenstern> But 1. I don't need to be fed ;-)

<SaidTabet> Peter, please add me

<LeoraMorgenstern> and 2. I have to wait for management approval to sign up officially.

<AlexKozlenkov> Peteer, please add me and respond to my e-mail

<AlexKozlenkov> Our assistants could not make the registration

chris: explains plans for F2F4 schedule

<ChrisW> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/F2F4

<AxelPolleres> +1 for work focused meeting

chris: considering 2 parallel sessions for F2F4. Asks which WG members would like to attend both.

<AxelPolleres> I would be glad if we can come out of the RIFRAF meeting with a concrete plan what the document should roughly look like.

<DaveReynolds> possibly ...

<LeoraMorgenstern> Yes, I would like to attend both

chris: UCR and Technical Design will be in parallel

<PaulaP> I would also like to attend both

<LeoraMorgenstern> (Though, as I said, I can only watch on Saturday)

<AxelPolleres> ... and time schedule.

chris: actions will be assigned to parallel groups but decisions will be made in plenary

Laison

<johnhall> SBVR - nothing new

<PaulVincent> PRR - nothing new AFAIK

Action Review

<csma> ACTION-120 continued

<csma> ACTION-121 continued

<csma> ACTION-122 continued

<csma> ACTION-141 continued

<csma> ACTION-142 continued

Technical Design

<AxelPolleres> Michael's mail: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2006Oct/0100

<ChrisW> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/A.1.0_Nucleus%3A_Positive_Conditions

chris: try to write rules using latest version of core language
... what is missing, what should be added?

christian: what were the poblems and issued encountered in your translation exercise?

gerd: object type v. data type is still an issue in core

<Franois> msg GerdWagner Here we are! You were not there in the past.

chris: group decided not to have such a split -- is a split needed in core or can it be an extension

<FrankMcCabe> what are the criteria for the core? When is my feature a core feature?

gerd: RDF and OWL make this distinction

<josb> RDF does not make this distinction

csma: such a split or not should be illustrated with some examples

chris: core should be simple but extensible

<FrankMcCabe> good

harold: explicit universal quantifiers have been added to core

<Harold> Forall now around Horn rules: http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/B.1_Horn_Rules

frank: if a feature requires an enormous extension, should it be in core?

<csma> Criticism of the current proposed core design can also come in the form of alternative proposals!

chris: expect that most rule languages will require some extensions

frank: some extensions may require core redesign, e.g. multiple theories, strong typing

chris: illustrate cases that require core redesign with examples

csma: another definition of core in phase 1: features that are not controversial

Volunteers to write rules for Use Cases

<johnhall> Sorry, I have to leave. My action on linking UC5 to requirements is continued.

<sandro> http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-ucr/#Use_Cases

<LeoraMorgenstern> I will volunteer to do this for the Medical Decision Support use case,

<LeoraMorgenstern> since that's the one I'm familiar with

<csma> ACTION: to Leora to propose rule examples for medical use case [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action01]

<PaulaP> I can take use case 2

<csma> ACTION: Paul to propose rule examples for UC1 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action02]

<rifbot> Created ACTION-152 - Propose rule examples for UC1 [on Paul Vincent - due 2006-10-31].

<csma> ACTION: Paula to propose rule examples for UC2 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action03]

<rifbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Paula

<GerdWagner> We'll do several examples and try to link them to use cases

<csma> ACTION: deborah to talk to Allen about doing rule examples on UC3 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action04]

<rifbot> Created ACTION-153 - Talk to Allen about doing rule examples on UC3 [on Deborah Nichols - due 2006-10-31].

chris: these actions must be completed before F2F4

<csma> ACTION: Gerd to do some rule examples and try to connect them to UCs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action05]

<rifbot> Created ACTION-154 - Do some rule examples and try to connect them to UCs [on Gerd Wagner - due 2006-10-31].

<csma> ACTION: csma to talk to PhilippeB about rule examples and connecting them to UCs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action06]

<rifbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - csma

<Franois> Sorry, I must leave now. Francois

<SaidTabet> Like Franc,ois...I need to leave as well.

chris: as you work on rules for the use cases, point out difficulties encountered

<csma> ACTION: Dave to do rule examples for UC8 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action07]

<rifbot> Created ACTION-155 - Do rule examples for UC8 [on Dave Reynolds - due 2006-10-31].

<csma> ACTION: Sandro to do rule examples for UC5 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action08]

<rifbot> Created ACTION-156 - Do rule examples for UC5 [on Sandro Hawke - due 2006-10-31].

<JeffP> I can give it a try

<csma> ACTION: Jeffp to do rule examples as extensions of OWL UC7 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action09]

<rifbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Jeffp

<AxelPolleres> Acknowledged to take UC10 "Publishing Rules for Interlinked Metadata", probably not before next Telecon though, but before f2f.

<csma> ACTION: Gary to do rule examples on UC10 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action10]

<rifbot> Created ACTION-157 - Do rule examples on UC10 [on Gary Hallmark - due 2006-10-31].

<csma> ACTION: Axel to do rule examples for UC10 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action11]

<rifbot> Created ACTION-158 - Do rule examples for UC10 [on Axel Polleres - due 2006-10-31].

<AxelPolleres> UC 10 has been assigned twice on the action tracker....

chris: include constructive criticism

RIFRAF

<csma> ACTION-148 continued

<csma> ACTION-149 continued

<LeoraMorgenstern> Not much progress

<LeoraMorgenstern> Sandro handed in a small ontology piece

Leora: not much progress on OWL ontology for RIFRAF

<LeoraMorgenstern> The rest of us are planning to do it later this week

<sandro> http://topbraidcomposer.info/

sandro: likes topbraidcomposer but it costs $$ after 30 days

frank: found bugs in protege

axel: will summarize ontology progress at F2F4

Use Cases

david: linking use cases to requirements needs finishing

<csma> ACTION-38 continued

<csma> ACTION-41 continued

<csma> ACTION-72 continued

<csma> ACTION-105 continued

<csma> ACTION-106 continued

<csma> ACTION-131 continued

<csma> ACTION-132 continued

<csma> ACTION-144 continued

<csma> ACTION-147 continued

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Axel to do rule examples for UC10 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action11]
[NEW] ACTION: csma to talk to PhilippeB about rule examples and connecting them to UCs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: Dave to do rule examples for UC8 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: deborah to talk to Allen about doing rule examples on UC3 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Gary to do rule examples on UC10 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action10]
[NEW] ACTION: Gerd to do some rule examples and try to connect them to UCs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeffp to do rule examples as extensions of OWL UC7 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action09]
[NEW] ACTION: Paul to propose rule examples for UC1 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Paula to propose rule examples for UC2 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Sandro to do rule examples for UC5 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: to Leora to propose rule examples for medical use case [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/24-rif-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2006/10/24 16:24:45 $