Re: A not on types (was Re: [RIF] homework for 10/17 telecon)

> >> No, surely it's the first step in webizing[*] a language.
> >>
> >> Dave
> >
> > You can put it this way, but IRIs and other data types are nicely
> > formalized as sorts. So, this is the most natural way to approach
> > these
> > issues (incl. webizing). I thought it was clear, but if not I hope
> > that
> > this discussion clears things up.
> >

> > 	--michael
> >

> As I have learned from trying to 'do' types for the last 10+years,
> handling types properly in non-trivial. (Waving the sorted-logic wand
> over a set of rules does not cut the mustard.)

I am talking about using sorts to capture very specific things: primitive
data types (and URIs as a special case). I am not talking about a type
system.

> In any case, the RIF is supposed to be an *interchange* format, not
> yet another rule language. That means that it is not enough to come
> up with a single type system (a point solution in the multi-
> dimensional type space) but a way of capturing types and type systems
> that are already in use.

You must have gotten a wrong impression because loose terminology may have
been used in this discussion.