Completed ACTION-145

From: Ginsberg, Allen <AGINSBERG@imc.mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:06:14 -0400
To: <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

This is in regard to ACTION-145: Investigate whether RIF benefits can
be extracted into a separate section or whether additional input from
UC authors would be needed.

I have looked through the 10 use cases and extracted 4 general
categories of benefits listed below. Within each category I list more
specific descriptors gleaned directly from UC text or logically related
to the gist of some UC text.  Every UC contributes at least one such
benefit-descriptor, but for the most part the relationship is
many-to-many, i.e., each UC implies multiple benefit-descriptors and
each benefit-descriptor has multiple UCs that imply it.

My feeling is that it is consistent with the goal of "widespread
adoption" that these benefit categories be touted in a separate section
titled "Benefits of a Rule Interchange Format."

Because each UC implies at least one descriptor I haven't solicited
additional input from UC authors. If anyone feels I have missed
something or that clarification is needed, please comment.

Allen

==

I.    Promotes Innovation and Development

        fosters collaborative work

        more efficient pipeline from new feature or policy to diverse
rule-platform implementations

        new opportunities for third-party development

II.   Promotes Ecommerce

        lessen worry about vendor or product lock-in

        interoperability: applications using different platforms can
interact in "real time"

        representation of non-machine-executable elements allows more
accurate reflection of business process

III.  Promotes Efficient Process Management

        re-use and sharing

        unified view of inter-related business processes using diverse
rule platforms

        tailored views of inter-related business processes under
multiple proprietary ownership

IV. Promotes Growth of Knowledge

        reasoning with merged rule-sets allows more reliable
applications

        enables diverse data models to be mapped into a common language

        enables common implicit knowledge to be more easily shared