RE: http://www.w3.org/2006/11/04-rif-minutes.html#action04: Notes from UCR breakout of 11/04 --> coverage

Thanks Allen:

Yes we probably need to agree to disagree and move to arbitration! So I
cc'd the rif-wg for other comments on this topic.

My thoughts on your comments below are:

1.	As RIF is an interchange format, the fact that a RIF dialect may
be considered a rule language must be a side effect - and therefore
should not be reflected in the definitions. In other words it is not
necessary for RIF dialects to be a rule language.
2.	Why must it be possible to implement a rule engine for a RIF
(format) dialect? For example, I can use XML as an interchange language
for representing SQL queries. However, this does not mean I *need* to
have database engines that can execute said XML. To me, this requirement
seems somewhat orthogonal to the charter.
3.	Mentioning software is also orthogonal. For example, why cannot
a rule translation be handled manually, like it may be done today and
will be done for initial examples I am sure? Again, this does not seem
to be a requirement (although of course it *is* a requirement that the
process is automatable).
4.	Circularity: possibly my definition was circular. Perhaps
Coverage should imply translation to, from or to+from a RIF dialect.

An updated version of my coverage proposal would therefore be:

*          "RIF covers a rule language" if
1. rules written in the covered rule language can be translated to,
from, or both to and from a dialect of RIF
and
2. rules mapped from 1 language to another via a RIF dialect exhibit
equivalent behavior

Note: I did not use "identical" behaviour as it is not the remit of RIF
to standardize rule engine outputs. So if I have 2 rules:

If customer is new then customer credit period is 1 month

If customer is new then customer credit period is 1 week

Then the equivalent behaviour is to either assign a customer credit
period of 1 month or 1 week (depending on the rule engine).

Cheers

Paul Vincent

TIBCO - ETG/Business Rules

PS: my original counterproposal sent as PPT was:

*          "RIF covers a rule language"
means
1. rules written in the covered rule language can be translated into
a dialect of RIF
and
2. the resulting rules represented in RIF can then be mapped to some
target rule language, other than the original language, to achieve the
same behavior as the original rules