Re: [TED] CORE Pages on Positive Conditions and Horn Rules Edited: Slots & Constraints

Dave -

The contents of the slides written and shown by Harold are only meant
as illustration. The concrete syntax of slotted term he added to the
"core" condition and Horn rule language syntax is not formally consistent
(or perhaps I would not do it exactly like that). Be that as it may, I
am currently writing up a formal treatment of how to view data models
as constraint systems. This, as you may recall, is an action that was
put on me in response to members of the RIF WG at the last F2F in Athens,
GA (viz., Jeff Pan and Alex Kozlenkov) that requested that I produce such
a duly referenced technical argument showing how this may be achieved.

I now writing a first draft of this document elaborating on the CLP
summary that I had made available last month to the rest of the RIF WG.
I summarize also the systematic semantic connections between the several
formal syntaxes of attributed structures. In other words, an object may
be seen - and thus written - indifferently as either a term (slotted or
not), a labelled graph, or an order-sorted feature (OSF) constraint which
is a conjunction atomic statements akin to RDF triples: nodes are variables,
arrows are features, and node labels are sorts. In other words, the OSF
term  'person(name -> id(last -> string, first -> string), age -> int)'
becomes: 'X:person & X.name=Y & Y:id & Y.last=Z & X:string & Y.first=U
& U:string & X.age=V & X:int'. (Note that, unlike in Harold's notation,
the dot 'operator' relates two variables, not two sorts (i.e., function
symbols).

All these syntaxes may each be given a simple formal semantics, each of
which concides - i.e., these are distinct forms of the same denotations.
In a sense, OSF constraints are to OSF terms what ions are to molecules.
Thus, an OSF constraint is called the "dissolved" form of the term.

Therefore, Dave Reynolds's questions and points are quite justified,
and may be thus answered:

(1) yes - slotted terms are syntactic sugar that gets desugared as OSF
     constraints;

(2) Herbrand terms are a special case of OSF terms and therefore also
     syntactic sugar - e.g., the Herbrand term 'f(a,g(b,c))' becomes
     the OSF constraint 'X:f & X.1=A & A:a & X.2=G & G:g & G.1=B & B:b
     & G.2=C & C:c';

(3) other data models may be accommodated using this "data model as
     constraint system" paradigm and conjugated with definite clauses
     using the CLP scheme in order to obtain Horn-like rule systems
     over varied data types (e.g., Java, C#, or C++ classes/objects).

I hope to have a first legible draft with all the gory technical details
of the above within a week or so.

Cheers,

-hak
--