Re: mappings between SWRL and Boley proposal

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@inf.unibz.it> writes:

> From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
> Subject: Re: mappings between SWRL and Boley proposal
> Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 22:18:01 -0400
>

> > > From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
> > > Subject: Re: mappings between SWRL and Boley proposal
> > > Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:22:07 -0400

> [...]
> > >
> > > How is it more general?  You are requiring the same interpretations on
> > > either side of your condition,
> >
> > Not quite. If mappings between interpretations can be established then they
> > don't have to be the same.
> >
> > > so it looks to me that two rule systems that
> > > differ at all in their model theory will require a different RIF dialect.
> >
> > but basically - yes. If somebody comes up with a rule system that uses
> > an unheard-of model theory then this would require a new dialect. I see no
> > way around this short of telling people to stop innovating.
>
> I believe, on the other hand, that the RIF should be "unitary", at least
> for phase 1,

It is already in the charter that phase 1 is Horn.

However, the design should be such that the extensions required by our use
cases will be possible. This requires a lot of thought and preliminary
design.

> and that rule systems demonstrate compliance by translating
> their syntax into and out of the RIF in a way that preserves some notion of
> equivalent behaviour between the system and inference in the RIF on a
> (reasonable) subset of the RIF's syntax.

Most useful, tried-and-true rule-based languages are based on CWA and
production rules. They have much greater expressive power and cannot be
translated into Phase 1. Only their Horn subsets can.

But I don't understand how your answer negates anything in my earlier email.

	--michael