Re: [RIF] Reaction to the proposal by Boley, Kifer et al

Francois Bry wrote:

 > To the best of my undserstanding, the RIF WG can learn from Hassan (very
 > nice) brief survey that  specifying an Equational Theory for a RIF rule
 > set would make much sense.
 >
 > Hanssan, a warm thank to you for your email. It is a great pleasure to
 > read it and some might, like myself, learn from it.
 >
 > By the way, Hassan, i6t would be *great* if you would spend a few hours
 > on this email you sent us and turn it into a survey on the subject. If
 > this survey would keep the style of the email, then it would be
 > extremely informative and pleasant to read. I have no doubts that such a
 > survey would be easy to publish in a good jopurnal (maybe JAR?).
 >
 > Francois

Thank you, François, for your kind words. We all learn from each other
in this WG - and this is why it is fun, even if sometimes frustrating.

This being said, my point was not to suggest that the RIF should deal
with equality. Rather, it was just to clarify the subject (since it
has come up in several RIF discussions) of treatment of equality in
computational logic for the benefit of the few members of this group
that may not have been aware with this background. I hope that it was
informative for others as well.

Regarding writing a survey on the subject, I doubt that it will happen
because (1) I have quite a number of bites to chew of greater worth and
priority that would be more rewarding for me, and (2) more importantly,
most readers of Automated Reasoning journals like JAR already know this
stuff.

At any rate, I am glad that you found my ramblings interesting.

Cheers,

-hak
--
Hassan Aït-Kaci