Re: [RIF] Reaction to the proposal by Boley, Kifer et al

On 3 May 2006, at 16:47, Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Alex Kozlenkov wrote:
>
>> I am not sending a message against OWL or RDF. I am simply asking
>> whether _querying_ RDF and OWL in rule antecedents is enough or
>> not for
>> RIF at this time.
>
> As I've already said in my response to the proposal, external-query-
> only is not sufficient from my point of view. I need to be able to
> express at least deduction rules over RDF and an external query
> approach doesn't facilitate that. I would prefer a tighter
> embedding of RDF into RIF (e.g. either a three place predicate or
> the ability to interpret any atoms over binary relations as RDF
> triple patterns).

A similar point can be made for OWL: if one would like to use RIF to
exchange (what we call) eg. DL-safe or R-hybrid rules (which look
like Datalog and behave like Datalog if the OWL-part is empty), then
a query-mechanism does not suffice: they need to "act" in parallel
with the OWL axioms.

Cheers, Uli