Re: [RIF] Reaction to the proposal by Boley, Kifer et al

> Michael Kifer wrote:
> >> We have also just seen a proposal to add counted quantifiers.
> >>

> > This was thrown in but to make it fly one would have to incorporate these
> > quantifiers into the answer-set and well-founded semantics. (My understanding
> > is that Francois main interest is in CWA-based dialects.)
> > I think a better and a more natural way to express this kind of features is to
> > use aggregate functions. (For CWA-based dialects.)
> >
> C pounting quantifiers" can be expressed by aggregate functions. As
> shorthand, or syntactic sugaring, they aree very uimportant *in practice*.
>
> François

If you just mean a shortcut for the count aggregate function then it is
fine. The only question is whether this new syntax for counting quantifiers
is really needed. IMO, expressions like 3 > count{?X|condition(?X)} or 7 <
count{?X|condition2(?X)} are much clearer and don't require any new syntax,
since aggregates are going to be there anyway.