Re: Append solution using pure production rules

From: Gary Hallmark <gary.hallmark@oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:56:13 -0800
To: public-rif-wg@w3.org

Francois Bry wrote:

>Some brands of production rule languages, as they have been described in
>the literature over the last 2 to 3 decades, significantly restrict the
>re-firing of a rule that has already fired. In extreme cases, a rule can
>only fire once.

This is especially true in the business rule market, where far more
users are likely to write a rule like
"if an employee earns more than 50000 then give a 10% raise"
that refires endlessly than there are users seeking to write a recursive
ruleset to do appends.

However, a tool or language that supports a "fire at most once" rule
could use a "control fact" to implement the desired behavior.  It's not
necessarily the case that the RIF needs to support "fire at most once".

>there are no
>general agreement on a common semantics for alll production rule
>languages

But can we get agreement within our working group?  Who here disagrees
with the PRR, and why?