Re: [UCR] RIF needs different reasoning methods

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:39:56 +0000
To: RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

On 12 Mar 2006, at 23:09, Gerd Wagner wrote:

> Ian Horrocks wrote:
>> If the RIF supports rules with different meanings (i.e.,
>> where different behaviour of the consuming system is
>> expected), then clearly
>> they would need to be distinguished. I don't see anyone
>> disagreeing about that.
>
> OK, then we agree on Francois' proposal to mark/annotate
> the distinction between these different types of rules

The trouble is that this isn't what either Francois  or I said:
Francois' proposal explicitly referred to distinguishing the reasoning
method to be applied to rules of the same type (or at least having the
same meaning); I said that *if* the RIF supports rules with different
meanings, then they would need to be distinguished.

> (I think this was the main point of the debate, and not
> the issue of efficient proof theories).

I think that we should wait for Francois to clarify his intended
meaning, which is not obviously the same as yours.

Ian