Re: [UCR] RIF needs different reasoning methods

On Mar 7, 2006, at 2:41 AM, Francois Bry wrote:
[snip]
> I gave concrete examples that need reasoning techniques as develioppped
> and used in databases.

But these correspond to well specified semantic/expressive subsets. Why
the *further* need to distinguish the reasoning technique used.

>  General purpose reasoners arein pracxtice not
> applicable to these cases.

What if they are? Why aren't the efficiently parameters enough to
specify?

>  If RIF does not ways to consider such
> practical issues, then it won't be  successful in practice.

I'm just trying to discern what the right ways are. As far as I can
tell, my slightly more abtract approach is pragmatically equivalent to
what I can figure out of what you what to do. But you don't seem to
agree, so I'm confused :)

What I don't see is the reason for specifying particular proof
procedures *instead of* expressive subsets. Responsiveness requirements
are application dependent, not document dependent (as far as I can
tell). That is, you want to *in the context of a particular
application* specify which reasoner, given certain parameters, to use.
If two reasoners perform acceptibly and give the same answers...what
*more* do you need? But you *seem* to be saying that more is needed to
be practical (something above specifying the particular reasoner, but
below specifying the expressive subset + performance parameters), and
that this is something that goes with the document as part of the
specification of the ruleset.

This is the part I don't understand. I read Ed's email, but I didn't
really get enlightenment, except maybe that you want to be able to
express reactive rules (as opposed to rules that may be processed
reactively). But, I'm sorry, I don't see why these are necessary to
meet your goals. I don't doubt the goals, I just don't see the
necessary connection with your means.

Cheers,
Bijan.