Re: [RIF]: Business process use case (was information integration)

Paul:
  Comments in line ....
On Mar 6, 2006, at 1:24 AM, Vincent, Paul D wrote:

> Frank: I guess the crux of the use case is
> <<The RIF should be used to permit the BP designer a unified view
> of the
> different partners' business rules in designing the process, while at
> the same time permitting the partners to continue to leverage their
> own
> business rules without changing their own technologies.>>
>
> I can't disagree. Should there be more detail than this, though?

Perhaps.

> For example:
> 1/ I might use organizational rules (policies, strategies etc) to
> direct
> my business process design - probably this is related to the "human
> readable" / "inter-organizational" rules, as directives for process
> design.

I was trying to steer John Hall's human use case into this direction :)

> 2/ I might discover automated rule services that carry out some
> business
> process, which I need to embed / include in my process design.
> Possibly
> this is more of a UDDI process as the details of the rules themselves
> may be less important. On the other hand this is more "process
> orchestration" than "design".

I do not see this. This is simply including a process that is
implemented by a partner in my process. Something that happens all
the time but is not rules specific.

However, there is a duality in process design: the actions taken and
the decisions taken. It is in the latter case that we will need
access to the rule logic of our partners.

> 3/ I might want to combine / refine existing rules to create a new
> "process". There are probably 2 subcases of this:
> 3a/ I am simply re-organizing rules to recreate a new rule service -
> this is more rule management than process management.
> 3b/ I am combining rules with process flow ie mapping rules, rule
> services (/ subprocesses) to a flow/rule combination. I guess this
> is a
> combination of 1/ and 2/...

This is more of the same.

> The role of RIF here is as a vendor-neutral rule format, which is of
> course related to the "Cross-Platform Rule Development and Deployment"
> now
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/UCR/
> Negotiating_eBusiness_Contracts
> _Across_Rule_Platforms

Well, I would hope that the vendor-neutral stuff show up in all the
use cases!
Frank