[RIF]: Business process use case (was information integration)

Frank: I guess the crux of the use case is
<<The RIF should be used to permit the BP designer a unified view of the
different partners' business rules in designing the process, while at
the same time permitting the partners to continue to leverage their own
business rules without changing their own technologies.>>

I can't disagree. Should there be more detail than this, though?

For example:
1/ I might use organizational rules (policies, strategies etc) to direct
my business process design - probably this is related to the "human
readable" / "inter-organizational" rules, as directives for process
design.

2/ I might discover automated rule services that carry out some business
process, which I need to embed / include in my process design. Possibly
this is more of a UDDI process as the details of the rules themselves
may be less important. On the other hand this is more "process
orchestration" than "design".

3/ I might want to combine / refine existing rules to create a new
"process". There are probably 2 subcases of this:
3a/ I am simply re-organizing rules to recreate a new rule service -
this is more rule management than process management.
3b/ I am combining rules with process flow ie mapping rules, rule
services (/ subprocesses) to a flow/rule combination. I guess this is a
combination of 1/ and 2/...

The role of RIF here is as a vendor-neutral rule format, which is of
course related to the "Cross-Platform Rule Development and Deployment"
now
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/UCR/Negotiating_eBusiness_Contracts
_Across_Rule_Platforms

Cheers,

Paul Vincent
Fair Isaac Blaze Advisor --- Business Rule Management
OMG PRR and W3C RIF for rule standards